Re: Calcium test kits

> Calcium test kits are wildly use by reef aquarists and many companies sell
> them.  Salifert, LaMotte, Aquarium Systems all markets them.  Actually the
> LaMotte calcium kit ($21.99 for 50 tests) is quite cheap compared to other
> LaMotte products.   I have never use the LaMotte calcium kit, so no comment
> on the quality.

Don't forget Seachem ;-)

Our Reef Status: Calcium kit is (like the magnesium kit) marketed
toward the saltwater hobbyist, but can be used in freshwater just as
well. In fact it could be used in the same manner as the other kits
you described, i.e. you can skip the magnesium precipitation step to
get a total hardness, then run the test with the precip step to get
calcium, the difference being magnesium (assuming strontium levels
are nil). FWIW our kit gives you the same easy to see pink-blue
titration endpoint... it comes with a reference so you can always be
sure the kit is working properly... and also it yields 150 tests (for
around $40-$50 retail depending on your source).FYI.

-Greg Morin

Gregory Morin, Ph.D.  ~~~~~~~Research Director~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seachem Laboratories, Inc.      www.seachem.com     888-SEACHEM