Cyanobacteria and erythromycin question

My LFS keeps antibiotics under the counter, for some reason.  I told Chris
(owner) that I needed erythromycin.  He asked me why, as he reached under
the counter to reveal a large tub of filled, gelatin capsules.  I told him
'Blue Green Algae'.  He nodded in sympathy, and gave me three capsules.
"Each capsule treats 30 gallons, use one once a week for three weeks" (I had
decided enough was enough with my 26 gallon tank).

I've read on the Krib this morning where you are supposed to use Maracyn
every day for 5 days.  This is different than what I'm doing.  I want some
reassurance that what I'm doing is correct.  If it is not, then I want to
correct it immediately.  In defense of Chris, I used my first capsule
Monday, and the black BGA visibly started to retreat about Wednesday and now
is either gone or has turned a transparent brown and it starting to loosen
from the plants and rocks.  I will be vigilant about keeping the filter
media clean during this time when the crap gets sucked up, and am going to
do a water change Sunday, and dose another capsule then.  I have not
measured ammonia during this time, but will today.  The fish have not seemed
to be stressed at all during this time.

Wish me luck and I await your response,

Kelly Beard, Cat IV, Team Allanti
President, Allanti Cycling Club - http://www.allanti.com