Tank Lifetimes

I was just reading an article in Aquarium Frontiers where the author
contends that in reef tanks there is a period of best health/growth of the
corals.  This is from 6 to 18 months.  After this the tank begins a very
slow decline in coral growth, polyp extension, etc.

Seeing this and the discussion it prompted has made me think about our
planted tanks.

Does anyone have any facts or good, multiple tank, multiple setup, long
term observations to share?  Also any speculation on whether planted tanks
also experience a similar "high point" in growth, color, health of plants
and then a slow decline.

Just seems like a interesting idea and discussion is always best when
interesting ideas are put forth.

o    Mike Nielsen                                                        u
m    Department of Geography         THE OPTIMIST BELIEVES WE LIVE IN    ?
a    Harvill Bldg Box #2             THE BEST OF ALL POSSIBLE WORLDS;    w
r    Tucson, AZ 85721                THE PESSIMIST FEARS THIS IS SO      h
e    mnielsen at u_arizona.edu                                              o