Re: Flourite and complex substrates

One of the concerns I have heard stated about Flourite vs. laterite is that, due
to the large grain size when compare to laterite, the roots aren't as able to be
in intimate contact.  This would imply that no matter how wonderful the stuff is,
the plants aren't as able to utilize all that goodness.  To explain (if you didn't
see it the first time), the main reason I am looking at mixing the two is that I
currently have about 75 lbs of 50/50 mix (flourtie and gravel), and I would like
to try laterite without having to buy all new gravel (and finding a place to store
all the old gravel).  The other reason is that I think the stuff is great to look
at-probably one of the best looking substrates out there. :-)

Thanks,

Justin Collins