Petrified Wood - Inert Rock

The Kevin Osborne series of articles on a planted tank now appearing in FAMA
contradicts some of the conventional wisdom I've read here and in other
sources.  For example, I thought it odd that Osborne would so easily discard
the notion of "any" substrate additives, given that the use of laterite has
such a well established success rate, regardless of whether anybody really
understands why.  But I was most surprised at his recommendation to use
petrified wood in a planted tank.  Is petrified wood always non-calcerous?  Is
it always inert?  What other rocks are tank safe?

Tom