Re: Nitrilotriacetic in Homegrown Hydroponics Iron Chelate Mix

Susan Roamano asked....

>>I recently purchased the iron chelate mix from Homegrown Hydroponics and as
>>the ingredients weren't listed on the container, I called them. It has the
>>same ingredients and amounts that were in the Chelated Trace Element Mix
>>that was mentioned on pg.9 of the Sears-Conlin report in the Krib at
>>http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/sears-conlin.html#pmdd  In addition
>>to the EDTA as a chelator, it contains 0.5 -1.5% nitrilotriacetic. I have
>>not heard this component mentioned before in the PMDD discussions before so
>>I checked it out on the net. All references to it say that it is an iron
>>chelate that is very carcinogenic to animals and humans causing kidney
>>failures and other nasty conditions.One example of the sites I found is:
>>http://ntpserver.niehs.nih.gov/htdocs/Levels/Tr006levels.Html There are many
>>others stating the dangers of nitrilotriacetic acid. I'd be very grateful to
>>hear from those who could tell me more on this.

This must be NTA. I used to add it to my car radiator to reduce corrosion.
If I recall correctly it is used in cooling water treatment. I wonder
if it gets absorbed into the foodstuffs that the customers of Homegrown
Hydroponics are cultivating. I'll ask them about it Monday when I visit
their local outlet. I might buy lightbulbs from these guys.

Re: Brittle Plants

Kenny Song asked about Vals which had become very brittle and whose
new shoots had curled leaves. This sounds like boron deficiency. Of
course if they are propagating quickly they are more likely to run
out of something sooner. Maybe your substrate additive contains only
iron and manganese. Just the usual shot in the dark.

--
Dave Whittaker
ac554 at FreeNet_Carleton.ca