Re: Phos-Zorb

>>Also, I see a product on the market called "phos-zorb" that
>>strips phosphates from the water when placed in the filter.
>>Anyone have any advice or experience
>>on this product.

>Hi Dana.  I have in the past used phosphate absorbent media in
>my saltwater and freshwater tanks.  When I used it in the fw plant
>tank to try to control BBA (pre-SAE), algal growth did slow, but
>so did plant growth.  It was not too long before the plants began
>to look pretty sickly.  I still don't mind using a phosphate resin in
>the marine tank where I'm not trying to grow anything, but I've
>avoided it in the plant tank.

I have phosphates in my tap water and use Phos-Zorb in my
canister filter.  I too found that although it was effective in removing
the phosphates that led to algal blooms, the plants also showed
signs of deficiency.  I solved this by adding Jobe's Plant Sticks,
which have some phosphate, into the root zone.  This has worked
for me for several years.

Cathy Hartland