Re: snails carrying algae

>Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 23:17:17 -0600
>From: krombhol at teclink_net (Paul Krombholz)
>
>The value of having a tank of plants free of hair algae is that you do not
>have to constantly try to control it.  You do not have to worry about your
>phosphorus or other nutrients getting too high. Since I like to experiment
>with nutrient dosing, and I like to try to give my plants the best
>conditions for growth, I can't afford to have hair algae threatening to
>take over all the time.

You have an excellent reason to take special precautions against algae.

>Does the
>"aquarist" tolerate ick, velvet, and other fish diseases in his or her tank
>and merely try to keep them in check?

I certainly don't equate fish disease (or plant disease) with algae.
Perhaps algae has disease-like effects when it is running amok but it is
not a disease, right?. Unless I'm way off-base, I think algae should be
considered a part of the aquatic environment and, indeed, tolerated. I feel
I need to apply some algae controls for aesthetic reasons. You feel you
need to eliminate it for your experimental reasons. Fine.

I guess I would equate algae to mosquitos in my back yard. I don't like
them and I may set up citronella candles or do bug spray when I want to
bar-b-que, but I don't run around trying to eliminate with an array of bug
zappers like some people do. They probably serve some useful purpose.

George Booth, Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  Back on-line! New URL! Slightly new look! Same good data!
    http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/