Re: mulitple areas

>From: BlackNet Runner <br at ldl_net>
>Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #758 (was RE Snails, algae... yay
Ed!)

>>> But I have a hypothesis for this which I will begin repeating
>endlessly
>>> whenever a discussion of SAEs pops up. I suspect that Dupla adds some
>
>>> special ingredient to Dupla drops that fine leaved plants absorb
>throught
>>> their leaves and make them taste awful. I can't prove this, of
>course, but
>>> various postings lead me to this inevitable conclusion. To wit:
>>>
>>> 1) Steve doesn't use Dupla drops and his SAEs eat his fine leaved
>plants.
>>> 2) George uses Dupla drops and his SAEs DON'T eat his fine leaved
>plants.
>>> Q.E.D.
>>>
>>> George Booth, Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
>
>now now george!  Don't be rappin' dupla for something I can prove they
>are not doing.  I have some finely pinated plants in my tank (hornwort,
>milfoil and java moss comes to mind) and I do ocassionally add dupla 24
>drops.  I have been running some test to see if it is really needed (so
>far I can't tell a difference but that's another discussion)  I have
>noticed that using and not using them doesn't make a difference as for
>sae's eating the leaf, they will nibble on the algae growing on there
>but the leaf is ok when they are done. :)
>
>It is my theory that either a) they are eating bad leaf's b) that
>someone's sae's are spitfull and perhaps starved and/or c) that sae's
>have esp but there wires are crossed :)
>
>Ed

Hi Ed, Darin,

George was not serious about dupla making plants not tasty.8=}

>>OK, I fess up. I use soil in my tanks. (a small amount, perhaps equivalent
>>to the amount recommended for laterite). Occassionally, I get green water
>>in one of these tanks.

No, Karen; say it not so! ;+}

>>get green water to see if there is any connection to choice of substrate
>>materials. Any laterite users out there? <VBG>
>
>Yup. You know I'm one.  The only two times I've ever had green water was
>right after the use of DAI tablets, which we know contain phosphate.  I
>think we can pretty well lay the blame at their door.

I've used them for the last 5 years without green water. I find that a
little two covenient to totally lay the blame for green water at their feet.
They may have been the straw that pushed the tank out of balance, but that
is only possible if there is P present from other sources.
>Gee, is it possible that this conversation will actually produce more
>
>Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 19:52:38 +0100
>From: "Ole Larsen" <bse9195 at VIP_CYBERCITY.DK>
>Subject: Sv: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #759
>
>Ole wrote to me privately about
>+AD4-aquarists using ion replacement (DI?) water and then treating it with
>+AD4-acid to remove the carbonates.

What is "+AD4"?

>I+ALQ-m not sure that+ALQ-s what I wrote, but maybe I forgot ?

Whats "+ALQ-m" and "+ALQ-s"?

>Wouldn't it be just as effective to
>+AD4-merely treat the water with acid to remove the carbonates and leave
the
>+AD4-Ca +ACY- Mg in solution? (or as precipitate)

Whats "+ACY"

>Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 14:51:26 -0500
>From: "Christopher Coleman" <christopher.coleman at worldnet_att.net>
>Subject: Re: Algae Sequestering of Nutrients
>
>First, welcome back Frank,  I have miss your posts.

I second That!

On green water. I use a fairly rich substrator. Potting soil, peat, and
sometimes manure mixed in the lower layer. Usually I have a small filament
algea problem about the 4th week and cloudy water. It nevers gets real pea
soup green, more whiteish with a hint of green. These last for about 3-6
weeks. After that there is some of the usual algeas seen in a planted tank.
Nothing major or destrubing. Some algea in a tank is good. Fry get a good
source of food in the algea areas. A nice light green mat covering driftwood
is very attractive in my opinion. Some of the fish we keep need it in their
diet.

I keep one tank constantly for years loaded with BBA over everthing. Best
Fry growout tank I ever keep. Wish I had it now for my cory fry.

Just my 2cents worth.

Best Wishes,
Ray