Re: Steve, BBA, and bleach

> >> BTW, in case anyone is interested, I did get an infestation of BBA
> (my
> >> fault) and I do have SAEs which are controlling it nicely.
> >> Unfortunately, they are also controlling the growth of several of the
>
> >> fine leafed plants I've been trying to propagate. They may move
> >> temporarily to a single tank.
> >>
> >> Steve Pushak
>
> Ok lets look at this for a second.  You use bleach on your plants yes?
> You sterilize with bleach (other stuff) yes?  You stated bleach is a
> 100% effective method of *preventing* bba or filamous algae.
>
> I just have one simple question.
>
> If bleach is 100% effective then why do you have a bba problem??

Simple. I introduced a plant that had BBA growing on it and did not
bleach it. I did not do it on purpose and I'm not sure where the
contamination happened. There was a third tank involved which I had
cleaned using bleach but somewhere along the line BBA was introduced. I
didn't tear the tank apart because of the BBA because I know that its
easy to control esp with SAE but I continued to bleach treat new plants
in order to avoid introduction of other filament algae which SAE do not
eat.

So I should say that bleach is 100% effective if you make sure to bleach
all plants that cannot be guaranteed to be filament algae free.

As far as cross contamination from other tanks is concerned, this is a
problem. It is best if all of the tanks in a fish room can be setup
algae free and all the equipment sterilized. The guy who knows most
about this is Paul Krombholz.

Steve Pushak                              Vancouver, BC, CANADA

Visit "Steve's Aquatic Page"      http://home.infinet.net/teban/