Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #758

>Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 02:23:32 -0800
>From: Steve Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca>
>Subject: RE Snails, algae... yay Ed!
>
>Remember that the same SAEs that eat BBA also love to eat Mayaca,
>Heteranthera zosterifolia and fine leafed Rotala species.

I guess if you keep repeating that enough, some poor newbie will start to
believe it. My 5 full grown (6") SAEs just don't seem to have a taste for
the Mayaca, H. zosterifolia, R. rotundifolia and R. wallichii in our tanks.
Nor did they when they were 8 3" SAEs. Even when they were 10 1" SAEs.
Never have, probably never will.

But I have a hypothesis for this which I will begin repeating endlessly
whenever a discussion of SAEs pops up. I suspect that Dupla adds some
special ingredient to Dupla drops that fine leaved plants absorb throught
their leaves and make them taste awful. I can't prove this, of course, but
various postings lead me to this inevitable conclusion. To wit:

1) Steve doesn't use Dupla drops and his SAEs eat his fine leaved plants.
2) George uses Dupla drops and his SAEs DON'T eat his fine leaved plants.
Q.E.D.

George Booth, Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  Back on-line! New URL! Slightly new look! Same good data!
    http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/