Re: Dupla cables

>Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:11:00 -0800
>From: Steve Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca>
>
>Was it Dupla that originally advanced the famous "substrate nutrient
>circulation" hypothesis where nutrients diffuse INTO the substrate from
>the water? This really needs challenging.

No, I beleive that was me that continues to advance that hypothesis. There
was a thread in rec.aquaria long ago where this was proposed. I didn't make
it up. It was suggested by a net contributor long gone. The discussion was
incorporated into an AFM article a few years and is probably archived in
The Krib.

The only thing that Dupla says, paraphrasing their "10 Golden Rules", is
that the heating coils "integrate the substrate into the aquarium system".

Anyway, I object to you twisting what has been said by using the word
"diffuse". The suggested convection currents produce a more active movement
than diffusion.

>BTW, in case anyone is interested, I did get an infestation of BBA (my
>fault) and I do have SAEs which are controlling it nicely.

OK, if the BleachMeister cannot get algae out of his tanks, how are mere
mortals supposed to? I guess it's not as simple and foolproof as you make
it sound.

George Booth, Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  Back on-line! New URL! Slightly new look! Same good data!
    http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/