Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #757

At 03:48 AM 1/6/99 -0500, you wrote:
>From: "Alysoun McLaughlin" <alysoun.mclaughlin at ncsl_org>
>Subject: Advice on Water Analysis
>The local water company just put their water analysis up on the web --
>If anyone is interested, and cares to give me an opinion on what these
>numbers might indicate (good or bad), I love free advice...  ;)
>Specifically, I'm wondering if anything in here might explain why my tap
>water is so %(*$#&^ buffered (boiling peat doesn't lower it much).

Your water looks just fine to me.   The numbers are pretty consistent too.

My guess is that your pH kit is ng.  Get a good one or a meter.   I would
guess that with your water peat would be very effective.   But they have
raised the pH to avoid lead leaching, so you will need to use something
over time.    Good luck, and don't mess with things too much.   If you must
do something, add a tiny bit of inorganic acid to your change water (.1
ml/liter of .1N HCl would do).  Try it on only a little change water at
first to make sure it's not too much.  .1N HCl is not too hazardous to
handle, just wash it off if you get some on you..

--
http://www.wcf.com/co2iron