Hair algae growth on swords

Hi all,
      I have a tank where I use proper pH 6.5(I have to in a place where
the tap water is pH8.0 and about 400ppm hardness). The substrate is sand
and peat moss. Anyway, I'm getting a strange hair-like growth on most of my
swords. I use liquid fertilizer as well as tablets in the substrate. It
doesn't seem to be going away despite having a couple ottos in the tank.
What is this caused from? I have heard proper pH can do it, but what are
other alternatives of changing my water chemistry? Thanks.
Ryan Ingram