Re: Web Surfing

In a message dated 1/3/99 3:51:01 PM Eastern Standard Time, Aquatic-Plants-
Owner at actwin_com writes:

> Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 10:53:38 EST
>  From: IDMiamiBob at aol_com
>  Subject: Re: Web surfing
>  I discovered something even more
>  important about surfing.  You will get different results using different
>  browser sites.  The list I was returned using my standard America Online
>  search engine was woefully inadequate compared to the lists I got from both
>  Snap.com (http://www.snap.com/) and Altavista (http://www.altavista.com/).
>  And each of those lists had a few sites the other didn't.  On all those
> lists,
>  I found that there was plenty of tares in with the wheat.  I'd be curious
> what
>  other search engines are available, so I can find even more sites.
>
>  Bob Dixon

Try other engines such as webcrawler, Yahoo, HotBot, http://search.net.com

the latter will give you options on which search engine you want to use at the
bottom of the page, there are even some search engines such as, I believe,
Alta Vista that will translate foreign web pages into any language you desire
( limited to certain languages only).

The reason that you will get different searches with different engines is that
some web sites will only be registered with a certain search engine. Many
search engines sent out spiders that will continuously search the Internet and
log and categorize web sites, the most sophisticated search engine I have been
told can only look at approx. half of the WWW.
Certain engines search by meta tags, these are  titles of up to 150 words that
are used to categorize a web page ( these are buried in the source code of the
web page) and are sorted and catalogued on this, webcrawler is such an engine.

Others search on key words, the more of the search phrase words that are found
in the document the higher on the search list priority. When using these
engines it is critical to enter your search phrase correctly and as best as
possible.
Eg a search for plant for example would bring up any web pages with, garden
plants, aquatic plants, manufacturing plants, etc., to narrow down these
searches do a search on aquatic plants instead.

You will also find different sites and common sites using different search
engines and yes, you can use a search engine one day find a web site and do
the same search on the same engine the next and not find it again, so BOOKMARK
those sites when you find them.

Regards,

John van Rompu