re: pH of RO water.

>Dr. Joseph R. Sachleben
>Research Scientist Campus Chemical Instrument Center
>The pH of RO water will start out near what the
>tap water was. The pH of DI water will start out
>neutral. After sitting out a while, both will
>go to a pH of about 5.5 because of CO2 disolving
>into the water.

Assumption 1:  This guy knows his stuff
Assumption 2:  I sure as heck don't
Assumption 3:  I'm confused...

Question 1: My tap water is pretty much crap for growing plants.
Its got a pH of about 8.6-8.8 depending on when I measure it.
Its also hard as nails.  The RO water I get from it has a
measured pH of 7.0-7.2.  Is this measurement wrong?

Question 2: After being in the fish tank for a while with injected
CO2, the pH dips to about 6.6-7.0 depending on when I measure
it.  Is this correct, or do I have a screwy test kit?

pH of RO water.