RE: RO water Buffer question

Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 21:33:55 -0600
From: "Kudzu" <Kudzu at airnet_net>
Subject: RO water Buffer question

> I have been reading with interest the RO water posts. I have been toying
> with buying an RO unit for some time now. The question I have is what to
> use as a buffering agent in regards to planted tanks. I seem to remember
> some talk about Proper pH causing algae growths?

> If I wanted to set up a tank with a PH around 6-6.5 for the fish and it
was
> to be planted (lots of lighting) what would be a good choice to use for
> buffering?

Don't use Proper pH.  It does use phosphates for buffering, which can be bad
when you use a phosphate reducing product like PhosGuard.

As for buffering RO water, here is all I do:

For every 5 gallons of RO/DI water, I add 1/2 rounded teaspoon of Kent's RO
Right, 1/4 rounded (not heaping) tsp of baking soda, and 1 Duplaplant tablet
(crushed up).  I try and let this mix sit overnight before I do water
changes.  Using 1/4 tsp of baking soda gives me a reading of 4 dKH.  I don't
think my GH test will work with the Kent's stuff.  I'm looking into getting
a conductivity meter.

Kelly Beard, Cat IV, Team Allanti
President, Allanti Cycling Club - http://www.allanti.com
I/T, IBM Global Services