Re: Aquatic Plant Food 20-10-5

> Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 18:58:16 -0500
> From: Kevin <kevin16 at home_com>
> Subject: Aquatic Plant Food 20-10-5
>
> I found "Aquatic Plant Food 20-10-5" at PetSmart today. It is
a slow
> release tablet intended for pond plants made by Aquarium
> Pharmaceuticals, Inc. The tablets are for burial in the soil
near plant
> roots. Has anybody tried breaking these large tablets into
smaller
> pieces and adding them to an aquarium substrate? Or, does
anybody have
> any opinions about using this product in an aquarium?
Me? Nope. But I've heard that some aquatic gardener in South
America does use such substrate fertilzer in a plant tank
exposed to sunlight simply because the other types are
unavailable locally. Good result. If I got one, I'd experiment
it in a small tank to see if it stirs up algae. Personally my
fertilizer is Tetra Hilena Crypto 1-0-25. Beside N-P-K,
magnesium, which is especially lacking in home aquaria,
shouldn't be overlooked.

jc

[snip]