typo in the book?

Hello,

I was reading "aquarium plants manual" by scheurmann ISBN# 0-8120-1687-4
and I came across a rather bazzar and interesting passage.  On page 15
the subtopic is "nitrogen compounds"  the statement was made "add
fertilizer regulary, because in water with a high oxygen content the
ammonium is rapidly extracted from the plants and converted to nitrate."

Am I to assume that with high disolved o2 in the water the plants will
not do so well and the nitrates will increase?  Also there is nothing
mentioned about ph and i'm very curious about this condition.  If this
is the case then a disolved o2 test kit would also be crucial in a
planted tank.

Ed