DIY aquarium stands..

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 21:14:06 -0800 (PST)
From: JOE CHEUNG <joehcheung at rocketmail_com>
Subject: DIY aquarium stands...

>Anyone out there knows good references on DIY aquarium stands?
>Books, websites, newsgroups, mailing lists, whatever. I've come
>to some websites and no books on it. They're not very efficient
>when it comes to woods. Thanks in advance!

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but unless you are a master cabinet
builder with all the necessary knowledge of finish joinery and
appropriate types of water resistant fasteners and the  specialized
tools, table/radial arm saw, router, jigs, clamps, surface planner, etc.
I suggest you purchase one off the shelf.  Ask any excellent carpenter,
the hardest project to make is a "square" box and that is essentially
what you'll be making.  Making the stand furniture quality will be the
second hardest.  While cinder blocks and planks may be acceptable for the
fishroom, a display tank in a living area requires substanitally more.
The amount of money for lumber, finishing products, plus your time
(depending on how you value your time), in my opinion, it is not cost
effective or safe to build one.  More importantly, at best the finished
product will be a wobbly unattractive affair, at worst it will
inadequately support the aquarium resulting in shattered glass and water
everywhere, not to mention dead fish. Simple butt joints, common nails
and screws won't do the job, and unless you work in the trade every day,
tight dovetails and good rabbet joints will be a near impossibility.

Frank Hillman
FAIRVIEW LAWN CARE
www.greenlawn.net