Re: 18" t-8 flourescent tube

> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 16:28:06 -0500
> From: "Merrill Cohen" <amc2 at ix_netcom.com>
> Subject: Re: 18" t-8 flourescent tube
>
> Colin Anderson wrote:
> Hi everyone:
> I'm desperately in search of an 18 inch t-8 bulb to use in my
newly
> built hood.  No one around here seems to carry anything, I've
tried the
> lighting stores and electrical supply places, and darn it,
there is no
> such thing as a chroma 50 18" or any other 18" purpose type
bulb.

> Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.  MMMM, 4 15 watt
t-8's over a
> 10 gallon, this will be fun!
Over my 10 are 2 strips of GE Chroma 50 18" 15W bought at a
local hardware chain Lancing. I change it every 6 months. Total
lighting is 3w/g. Enough for almost all kinds of plants. Hygro
is taking off after a "dormant" season(one bulb shortlived and
stirred up black algae growth). Your tank will have 6w/g. Whoa!
I think it's way over the suggested limit of 1-5w/g. It depends
on what you mean by fun: pruning plants every few days;
witnessing the most vigorous algae bloom including the usual
green spot algae and slim algae; spending money on bulbs and
changing them periodically; fiddling with increased
fertilization and CO2 injection.

jc