Seasonal changes in Ludwigia x. repens

Lately I've been getting slow/poor growth from a few plants,
especially ludwigia and Alternanthera reineckii. The lower
leaves die and the green algae sets in. Is this the usual
nutrient problems or might it be due to a seasonal slowdown?
Anyone else growing the above who has noticed a change?

I'm also interested to know if those of you who are using
calcium chloride, as opposed to calcium carbonate or
bicarbonate to supply calcium, have run into any problems.
I'm discontinuing its use for now, but I have yet to devise
a good method of dissolving powdered dolomite without
clouding the tank.

Seasons Greetings.

--
Dave Whittaker