Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #735

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, Ada Novittwrote:

> Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 14:56:37 -0500
> From: "Adam R. Novitt" <novitt at javanet_com>
> Subject: cat food
>
> I've been feeding my fish a tiny little bit of the canned cat food.  Just a
> little bit of what's left in the can the fish seem to love it. It is crude
> protein 13% (min), crude fat 4% (min), crude fiber 1% (max), moisture 78%
> (max), ASH 3% (max), and taurine .05% (min).  Comments?

Keeping catfish?

A large part of the fats in cat food may not be usable by fish. If you
feed with it regularly your fish might suffer some nutritional problems,
like fatty livers or saturated fats in the muscle tissues.
Alternatively, they may not digest it at all at and it will end up as a
skum or coating in the tank.

Fish foods are formulated to provide fats essential to fish and digestible
by fish.  They also provide amino acids in ratios intended to meet the
specific needs of fish, which is different from the needs of cats.

So the fish might just love the cat food, but probably you should feed it
irregularly and very sparingly.

Oh yeah. remember to change the kitty litter in your substrate regularly.

Roger Miller