Diatoms (was: Where can I find erythromycin?)

>Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 23:20:38 +0100
>From: Anders Nilsson <anders.nilsson at mbox356_swipnet.se>
>Subject: Where can I find erythromycin?
>
>After all I think my transparent greenbrownish slimy algae may be a
cyanobacteria one.
>If I remove it one day it will be back next day, that is one reason why I
think itīs some kind of bacteria.

I think you have a diatom problem, not cyanobacteria.  After I increased the
lighting on my community tank, I started getting a brown sludge on the walls
of the tank.  It only shows up if I haven't been doing water changes often
enough (when growth slows down, presumably because of a lack of trace
elements), so a good wipe-down and a water change always clears it up.  If I
don't do a good enough job of wiping the tank, though, they will continue to
spread right where the streaks were left.  I've stopped this by adding
otocinclus (a half dozen in a 75 gallon tank).  My flying fox also seems to
eat it.

There's usually some green algae on the walls, mixed in with it.  So
greenbrownish sounds about right.

Alysoun McLaughlin
in Washington, D.C., where we're starting to hear rumors of a White (or at
least, icy) Christmas...