RE: Algal Blooms

> From: "Alysoun McLaughlin" <alysoun.mclaughlin at ncsl_org>
>
> Mark Fisher paraphrased a paper by Cifuentes and Eldridge:
>
> >Generally speaking, when nutrients are limiting, diatoms are superior
> >competitors for P, while green algae are intermediate and
> cyanobacteria
> >are poor P competitors.  With respect to N, cyanobacteria are the
> >superior competitors, followed by diatoms and green algae.  As a
> >consequence, when the N:P ratio is high (generally, 16 N
> atoms for every
> >P atom or more) and Si is available, diatoms are favored.
> When N:P is
> >high and Si is scarce, green algae are favored, and when N:P is low,
> >blue-green algae are favored (blue-greens can fix
> atmospheric nitrogen,
> >so they can exist in nitrogen-scarce environments).
> However, when both
> >N and P are plentiful, and light intensities are high, green
> algae are
> >favored because of their faster growth rate.
>
> Where do you think BBA and other types of algae fit into this?

Alysoun, I suspect BBA are not strong competitors for N or P.  Again,
speaking in general terms, noxious/inedible algae do not grow as fast as
edible forms.  This paper noted that "through the course of evolution
less edible species shifted energy away from growth optimization and
toward development of features that enhance cell indedibility, while
edible algae focused energy toward growth optimization." (p. 726).

I've never had BBA, but I do have some handsome green algae
(Cladophora?) growing on driftwood and my Aquaclear outflow.  No one
eats it, but it is so slow growing and good-looking (like dark green
velvet, or chenille) it's not a problem.  I've had it for almost two
years.

Regards,

Mark