Re: Hydra

In a message dated 12/18/98 3:59:38 PM Eastern Standard Time, Aquatic-Plants-
Owner at actwin_com writes:

<< I would be very interested in knowing of any first-hand reports of
 people that actually lost a substantial portion of their own tank
 spawns due to hydra. Anybody on this list?

I have, I had an introduction of hydra in a planted tank that I was using to
raise Rainbowfish fry. These fry are extremely small and can only take
infusoria for the first week or so. Prior to having hydra in this tank, which
by the way arrived through an introduction of some plants bought at an
auction, I was raising 70-80% of the fry to a reasonable size, after I found
that the hydra were in the tank I was lucky if 4 to 5% of the fry could be
raised. The hydra would gorge themsleves on the fry and also on any BBS fed to
the tank, you could clearly see that they had eaten by the swollen area in
their centers. So yes in my opinion hydra will eat fry that are small enough.

Regards,

John van Rompu
Toronto