Re: Plants becoming too stemmy ?? why??

Mike (taburnok at skyinet_net) wrote:
> hi to all .. my new tank is now set up with mostly lancelot plants
> mainly echinodorus sp.. osiris, amazonicus , major (ruffled), rose,
> cordifolius(spelling check), and some apons and dwarf sags ,
> its a 120 gal tank , 24 inches deep, im using 2 125 watt MV HID
> pendants .. i noticed the lights to be a bit on the yellow side ..
> i guess because of this the plants are becoming a bit too stemmy ,
> what i mean to say is .. eg .. osiris grew 3 leaves with about 20 - 22
> inch stems IS THIS NORMAL ?? .. DO YOU THINK THIS IS BECAUSE OF THE
> LIGHT SPECTRUM ?

I doubt that it is the spectrum that is causing the plant to grow long
stems. E osirus (or simlar hybrids) have a bad habit of developing
floating leaves esp. under better growing conditions. I kept a similar
sword for a while but eventually gave up on it. You can have limited
success by pinching off all leaves that get long stems before they reach
the surface. I think it was Rataj who wrote that the plant will develop
submersed leaves only if you don't allow it to develop emersed ones. The
E cordifolius is another plant which develops long stems and huge
leaves. That one is better for an outdoor pond IMHO. I kept one for a
while in my 28" tall 75 gal.

Many kinds of stem plants grow tall and then drop the lower leaves.
Regular replanting is the ticket.

Long narrow pointed leaves are called lanceolate. Lancelot was
Guenivere's boyfriend in Camelot.

Steve Pushak                              Vancouver, BC, CANADA

Visit "Steve's Aquatic Page"      http://home.infinet.net/teban/