Nitrate test kits

David C Lorenzen wrote:

>As I understand it - 1mg/l is equal to 1ppm.  My Tetra Nitrate Test (which
>BTW costs about US $18), measures mg/l. Between my 10 day water
>changes NO3 is roughly 12.5mg/l. This equates to 12.5ppm.
>The PMDD postings indicate that NO3 of 2 - 3 ppm is a good target. If this
>equates to 2 - 3mg/l, this is unmeasurable. At least on the Tetra Test. Am
>I not understanding the conversion of mg/l to ppm or do I need a different
>test kit (possibly the $230.00 one. <g>). I am just trying to decipher the
>PMDD postings to insure that my trace elements are adequate.

The Tetra nitrate kit is a high range nitrate kit.  What you need is a low
range kit, and, no, you don't have to pay $230 for it.<g>

The one I use is the SeaTest low range nitrate kit.  It costs about the
same as the Tetra test kit, and has a nice see-through color comparator.
Depending on how you use the test, (there are directions for both methods
included) it measures either from 0.2 - 1.0 or from 2.0 10.0 mg/L.

Refills are also available that include only the reagent sachets.  These
are less expensive than the original kit which includes the color comparator.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Association