Tying down riccia

Susan Romano wrote:

>I would like some C. japonica in my tanks but I've not seen them in
>Toronto. If I ever do, I'll be sure not to put them in with the Riccia.
>Thanks very much for your help.

It's not just japonica -- I think any fish that pokes in the substrate is
going to disturb tied-down riccia.  I tried it once, and it's a quite
fragile setup, IMHO.

Many of my fish routinely poke around the gravel, and from the combined
efforts of a few gouramis, bettas, loaches, corys and dwarf cichlids (each
of which I watched 'uproot' the riccia) I soon had a densely wrapped rock
and a lot of floating riccia.

Alysoun McLaughlin