lighting with MH???????

Hi all,

I am still collecting 'stuff' for my new 48x18x18 inch to be planted tank,
It will have extra CO2 and duplarit and seachem flourish.

I am going to use MH as it is available from an electrician friend cheaply.
What wattage and how high off the water MH light do i need for a tank this
size,
A LFS says 70 watts - however this is only 1 watt gallon. I want to be able
to grow most things. Maybe red plants under the light and low light plants
on the sides of the tank.
Surely something of the order of 125 - 175 watts is ideal?
PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION AS I AM WANTING TO SET UP MY TANK!!!

THANKS in advance.
Daniel Green

bevgreen at cygnus_uwa.net.au