Riccia help

Ryan Stover wrote that:

>Sound like it would work Susan, but I not sure how large the gaps are in
>the plastic needlepoint canvas. >If the gaps are to small not much will
>grow through the top of the canvas. But if the gaps are to large the
>>riccia will come loose and float. I have used 2 inch square metal cages
>that are sold for just this purpose >in Japan. You referred to this as
>possibly a lowmaintenance set-up. Riccia, with lots of light, is a fast
>>grower. So trimming frequently will help to achieve a uniform carpet.
>Make sure that rutting fish or >inverts are added to the tank after the
>riccia has grown in. I forget how many times my C. japonica >pulled the
>riccia out of the cages.This might also apply to corys and loaches. Try
>floating a small clump >of riccia in one of those breeding nets that hang
>in the tank. Put this in one of your tanks that get a lot of >light. In
>about a month your supply might be doubled. Ryan

Thanks for your suggestions, Ryan and constant trimming may very well be
what I'm in for here. Khew Sin Sun who has  a website at
http://www.singnet.com.sg/~khewss emailed me Sunday to tell me of some
problems with the Riccia which I was very glad to hear of. His 200g. tank
looks a lot like Amano's, in my opinion.  He says that when Riccia is
trimmed, it floats into other plants, attaches itself and is quite a
nuisance to remove completely. After 3 months it starts to die underneath
due to light loss, becomes detached and starts to float. More trimming
could help possibly but in a very large tank such as he has, I imagine that
would be quite the chore.

I would like some C. japonica in my tanks but I've not seen them in
Toronto. If I ever do, I'll be sure not to put them in with the Riccia.
Thanks very much for your help.

Susan Romano