Re: Imersive Marginal Areas

Chuck writes:

> I'm trying to figure out a way to rig an immersive / bog planting area
>  around the rim of the tank, on the back and on the sides.  What I'd like to
>  do is have a margin of around 2" of suspended substrate in some sort of
>  channel that has holes so that tank water can keep the substrate wet.
><snip>

I recommend you glue either glass or plexiglas (depending on the material of
the tank) around the rim of the tank at a 45 degree angle across the back and
on both sides.  Silicone or acetate solvevnt weld (again depending on the
material) will hold the weight.  If you are using glass, 3/8 thick. Have the
glass cut to shape and holes drilled by the glass shop.  You will need
trapezoidal shaped pieces so that you can get the intersections of the "rim"
to look like the quarter-round trim in the corner of a hardwood floor/wall.
With plexiglas, you can drill the holes yourself.  Again, 3/8.  I would use
Lucite if you can use it.

If you want to add struts from the bottom of the tank, make them out of the
same material.  Both Glass and Lucite are available in "rounds" that should
partially disappear in the water and the rest of the plants.

Bob Dixon