Riccia Carpet

I have been considering trying this and am wondering if someone else has
already done it. If Riccia fluitans were poked through a sheet of plastic
needlepoint canvas and then secured with twining fishing line around and
through it would it make a totally green carpet and possibly eliminate the
need for gravel. Rocks and driftwood could then be added with attached
plants on it (Java Fern, Bolbitis heudelotii, Anubias etc.) Possibly a low
maintenance and attractive setup providing that it could be siphoned
properly once it gets established. I have been unable to find  Riccia
fluitans in Toronto except for very high priced pebbles covered with it
from Tropica. It would take a very long time indeed to cover a tank bottom.

Cheers,
Susan Romano