Re: dangers of a pressurized gas cylinder?

Frank Reiter writes:

> If you have watched the input pressure to your regulator over time you may
>  have noticed that the pressure in your tank stays constant until it is
> nearly
>  empty.

Well I haven't watched a CO2 bottle go empty, but I have certainly watched O2
and acetylene tanks go down over time as part of a welding rig.  The pressure
drops steadily from beginning to end.

>  The reason for this is that CO2 is bottled at a pressure which keeps
>  it in liquid form  When a little CO2 is used from the bottle the pressure
>  drops and liquid CO2 turns to gas until the equilibrium pressure is reached
>  again.

Then how come I can neither hear nor feel it swish around in a fire
extinquisher like I can propane

>  If your bottle is not vertical you run the risk of forcing liquid CO2 into
> the
>  regulator.

That would make sense, but I see no supporting evidence.  And for sure anyone
who has stored the 50-lb bottle for their aquarium supply on its side would
have problems instantly.

>  All of the above applies equally to pressurized oxygen and acetylene as
well
>  btw, though the equilibrium pressure is different for each.

Then I question what you are saying.  Is this a confirmable idea I can read
somewhere, or is it just an urban legend?  I'm not trying to sound snotty or
arguementative, but what you are saying runs contrary to every experience I
have had with bottled gases, except for Liquid Oxygen, which is stored in
vacuum insulated bottles to keep it cold.  Regular oxygen, CO2, etc, does not
demonstrate these things in my experience.

Bob Dixon