Re: Cylinders (gas)

> From: "Frank I. Reiter" <FIR at istar_ca>
> Subject: Re: dangers of a pressurized gas cylinder?
>
> If you have watched the input pressure to your regulator over time you may
> have noticed that the pressure in your tank stays constant until it is nearly
> empty.  The reason for this is that CO2 is bottled at a pressure which keeps
> it in liquid form  When a little CO2 is used from the bottle the pressure
> drops and liquid CO2 turns to gas until the equilibrium pressure is reached
> again.
>
> If your bottle is not vertical you run the risk of forcing liquid CO2 into the
> regulator.

	Right.  You don't want the liquid CO2 in the regulator.

> All of the above applies equally to pressurized oxygen

	Oxygen in cylinders is in gaseous form.  Using the cylinders
in a horizontal position is O.K..

> and acetylene as well

	Acletylene is stored dissolved in a liquid.  You definitely do
not want _that_ going into the regulator, because it won't evaporate
when the pressure is released from it.  Acetylene is dangerous stuff,
because it isn't overly stable itself, never mind the flammability
issue.

> btw, though the equilibrium pressure is different for each.

	Neither the oxygen nor the acetylene will have a constant
pressure phase as the gas is used up.

--
Paul Sears        Ottawa, Canada