Ammonia vs. Ammonium being Ph dependent

Karen Randall has taken exception to my book based understanding of the
nitrogen cycle, whereby I have understood ammonium to be the form that
nitrogen takes in an aquarium when the Ph is under 7 and that it exists as
more toxic ammonia in a Ph over 7. When cycling a new tank in the past I
have strived for a lower PH for just that reason. If this information is
erroneous I once again invite the chemists to comment. I have encountered
this information from more than one book and the writers have been doing us
all a great diservice should this be proven wrong.

Susan Romano