Re: dangers of a pressurized gas cylinder?

> From: IDMiamiBob at aol_com
>
> Excuse me, but I worked with pressurized gas cylinders for 12 years in the
> military.  They pounded every safety rule there ever was into our head from
> "duck when the enemy is firing" to "keep your thumb out from under a moving
> hammer".  They never mentioned to the best of my knowledge any danger
> associated with horizontal storage except the possibility of it launching
> itself when you break the valve off.  If it is stored safely in the tank
> cabinet, what is the likelyhood of that?  Is there some other
> problem you are
> refering to?

If you have watched the input pressure to your regulator over time you may
have noticed that the pressure in your tank stays constant until it is nearly
empty.  The reason for this is that CO2 is bottled at a pressure which keeps
it in liquid form  When a little CO2 is used from the bottle the pressure
drops and liquid CO2 turns to gas until the equilibrium pressure is reached
again.

If your bottle is not vertical you run the risk of forcing liquid CO2 into the
regulator.

All of the above applies equally to pressurized oxygen and acetylene as well
btw, though the equilibrium pressure is different for each.

Frank.
-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation.  - Jean Shinoda Bolen

http://home.istar.ca/~fir