Re: dangers of a pressurized gas cylinder?

Karen writes:

> The only other is that the tank must be kept in an upright position when in
>  use.  This seems obvious to me, but I was horrified to do into a Dr's house
>  recently and see a 20 lb tank sitting sideways underneath the stand
>  "because it doesn't fit standing up".  I would have thought they'd teach
>  them something about the dangers of pressurized gas in med school - I know
>  vet schools cover it.

Excuse me, but I worked with pressurized gas cylinders for 12 years in the
military.  They pounded every safety rule there ever was into our head from
"duck when the enemy is firing" to "keep your thumb out from under a moving
hammer".  They never mentioned to the best of my knowledge any danger
associated with horizontal storage except the possibility of it launching
itself when you break the valve off.  If it is stored safely in the tank
cabinet, what is the likelyhood of that?  Is there some other problem you are
refering to?

Bob Dixon