Shops Lights-Metal Halides

While walking through my local gardening supply shop today in the UK, I
noticed some very neat & compact lighting units approx. 10X6X8 inches that
contained a thin Metal Halide bulb maybe 7 inches long ? The unit as well as
looking neat, modern & compact plugged straight into the mains suggesting
all of the starter gear - ballast & ignitor - was inside the unit.

Assuming that you could get bulbs for these shop units in the 175-250 Watt &
5000-6000K range, surely these may be suitable for a freshwater planted
tank. Unfortunately, I could not inspect the unit too closely as I needed to
see what sort of beam pattern the unit had.

Any suggestions, ideas would be appreciated.

Andy Moore  -  andy at ascot_u-net.com

Treasurer/BBb Tuba Player Poulton-le-Fylde Brass Band
and Aquatic Plant/Discus collector

http://www.ascot.u-net.com/home/Band.htm