Re: Aponogeton Rigidifolia

> Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 11:15:12 -0500
> From: krandall at world_std.com
> Subject: Aponogeton Rigidifolia
>
> Has anyone on the list had much experience with this plant?  I found some
> when I was speaking in Maryland last month and brought it home, although
> from what I read, it sounded like it might be a difficult plant.  The
> "requirements" listed in various sources vary enormously for this plant.
>
> So far, mine seems to be doing well.  The leaves that it has grown since
> being placed in my tank are at least twice the size of the originals, and
> it is adding more leaves regularly.  Has anyone kept it successfully long
> term?  If so, what were your conditions, and observations of the plant.
>
> Karen Randall
> Aquatic Gardeners Association

I've been growing A. rigidifolius or a closely related crispus hybrid,
as well as several other A. sp, for a couple of years in my discus
tanks. (very soft, acidic, still water, temp 85) In the tank that they
do best, the plant seems to prefer being off to the side (not directly
under the lights).  The 2 year old substrate around the plant is plain
#2 gravel and the plants are surounded by E. tenelus, however there are
Duplarit K balls under several nearby larger Echinodorus species.  The
plant doesn't seem to have a dormant period where all the leaves die
back like the other Aponogetons (this may be due to hybridizing) but it
does have growth spurts. This is when they usually get to big for the
tank (33 gal. flat back hex)and are donated to the club auction.  The
plant grows long, narrow, green, slightly undulating 20+" leaves that
sometimes get translucent patches along the leaf margins and also
sometimes get a little spotty (presumably when they are not thrilled
with what's going on around them.)  They put up a single white
inflorescence.  The ones I now have were grown from seeds.  I've done a
lot of cross pollinating with these plants and give the larger plants
away, so I cannot attest to exactly what percent of the plant is
rigidifolius but at least one of them still looks a lot like and fits
the description of most of the ones pictured and described in the
books.  Hope this helps.

Ed Hengel
AGA