Re: Aquatic Insects

Hi Roger-

I told our entemologist about your question, and here is what I got from
him:  Unfortunately there are very few species of insects that spend their
entire life cycle in the water.  Most aquatic insects have some non-aquatic
(usually flying) life stage, which is important for reproduction.  In fact,
one hypothesis as to why insects have not invaded the marine environment is
that they can't do it ecologically--no avenue for dispersal.  The good news
is that lots of insects eat algae, especially filamentous algae.  One
species he suggested trying is the water boatman, pref. juvenile.  They may
not work for algae *control* because they do not eat the entire structure
but instead are piercers--that is, they suck out the cell contents (I
thought that was pretty neat).  He also suggested that you might try mayfly
larvae (Baetidae, Caenidae, or Siphloneuridae).  He said that you should be
cautious of using just any herbivorous bug as they could eat your plants
too!  Many of the pond species are likely to be predators, and some of
these (such as dragonfly larvae) might eat your fish.  Hope this is helpful!

Cheers!

Dorian McMillan
College of Charleston
Home of the Cougars [sorry N.C.  ;-)  ]