Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #685

Hello Tom,

> If it lowers the pH by making more H, wouldn't that affect the apparent CO2
> concentration from the pH and KH table?  And is that apparent change in CO2
> concentration a real number?  I guess what I'm asking is, is this thing really
> making CO2 or just manipulating the relationships?

The "H" that is produced by electrolysis is *different* from the "H"
that influences pH. That critter is "H+" -- the hydrogen *ion*. The pH
depends on the amount of H+ present in solution.

When this gadget makes CO2 -- and I say "when", not "if", because the
reaction is known (the trick is to find proper design and conditions for
the reaction to be practical at room temperature) -- the produced CO2
will behave exactly as injected CO2.

Perhaps some catalyst is added to the carbon electrode to have the
reaction proceed at a faster rate, or perhaps just the porous carbon
electrode is sufficient to speed up the reaction.

Best,

George