RE: Roots on stem plants

> What causes plants like Hygrophilia, Cabomba and others to
> produce roots on the stem above the substrate?  I'd like to stop it,
if I can.
> Gets a little messy and annoying.

I've seen Hygrophila "creeping" along the bottom in the swift current of
the San Marcos river (i.e., growing horizontally).  The roots from the
nodes help anchor the horizontal stem to the substrate.  Otherwise, the
current would beat the plant to death.  I don't know if this is the
specific purpose of the nodal roots, but it is certainly effective.

I don't think you can stop it.

Regards,

Mark