Re: DIY Power Compacts

>Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 06:19:29 EST
>From: IDMiamiBob at aol_com
>Subject: Re: DIY Power Compacts
>
>Mark Pan writes:
>
>> 2 x Osram Dulux D, 1,700 lumens 6,000 K lights (now that's very, very
>>  white!)
>>  26Watts with rated output of 150W (!) Or so the box says so anyway :-)
>
>Forgive me if I am wrong, but isn't a standard 40-watt Flourescent tube rated
>at like 3,120 lumens?  And Ultralumes give off even more than that.  If this
>is the case, I don't understand how a lamp with 1700 lumens ranks a rating of
>150W, unless it is being compared to incandescents.  Then we are mixing apples
>and kumquats, and I fail to see the output advantage of PCs
>
>Bob Dixon

The original posting was comparing a 26Watts Compact fluorescent (CF) to a 150W
incandescent bulb and was confusing as written. The author was just following the
marketing pitch that Osram uses to justify the replacement incandescent table
lamps with CF lamps.

CF have about the same Lumens Per Watt (LPW) as regular fluorescent bulbs.
However, just like regular fluorescent bulbs, different sizes of CF bulbs have
different efficiencies. The 26 Watt bulbs are about 65 LPW. The 55 Watt bulbs
give closer to 80 LPW.

The main advantage of CF is it's size. The  26 Watt bulb is about 13 inches long.
You can get 3 bulbs (3 x 1700 = 5100 Lumens) in the same space as a 48 inch
40-watt (3,120) lumens fluorescent tube. Two 55 Watt bulbs (2 x 22 inch)will get
you about 9000 lumens.  So, in the same space you can get 1.6X to 3X as standard
fluorescent tubes. Of course, your mileage may vary (YMMV) with different tube
manufactures.

Ron Wozniak  Allentown PA, USA
rjwozniak at lucent_com
AGA member