GE 5000K Power Compacts

Looks like one could mount 4-8 of these over a 4' long tank without too
much trouble and get 160-320 watts of light.

What kind of ballasts do these require?
Any idea of their cost?
Is 5000k "about right" for plants?

I'm thinking that this might be a viable alternative to VHO.
(depending on cost of course)

>I mentioned in a post a couple days back that I knew of one manufacturer
>having 5000K bulbs available in "power compact" size (I do not consider
>the 13 watt units the same as the so-called power compacts). Back at work,
>I found it.  It's not in a catalogue at all, it's on the web:
>
>http://www.ge.com/lighting/business/products/hbiaxb.htm
>
>This seems to imply that the 39 and 40-watt models come in this color
>temp.  A single 39 would fit nicely over a 10-gallon tank.  A pair of 40's
>would do well atop a 20-gallon tank.

-----[  for non spam email, use: jlemons at myriad dot net  ]-----
Wake up and smell the clintons!
"Clever policy consists in making nations believe they are free."  Napoleon
Bonaparte
Public key at:  http://PersonalWebs.myriad.net/jlemons/mykey.txt
semper ichthys