re: light ideas please

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 krandall at world_std.com wrote:

> >After reapeated requests my wife is getting her 60 gallon Hex tank for
> >Xmas.  I have already started working on the custom oak stand but am
> >a little puzzled on how to properly light it.  The width of the tank is only
> >27 inches between long points and the longes bulbs I can see fitting in
> >a hood would be a single 24", two 18" or about four 12" .  Any any of these
> >combinations I cannot see getting enough total wattage to handle some
> >plants.  The standard hood for this tanks only take a single 20 watt bulb
> >again way to little.
> >
> >Has any one set up a 60 gallon hex tank for plants?  And what did you use
> >for lighting.?  Suggestions please.
>
> This is the perfect application for the new CF bulbs.  A single 175 MH
> pendant could be used too, as long as you were willing to also use a steady
> supply of CO2, and other nutrients.

In my experience thus far, a 175 watt bulb seems just a bit too much for
this particular footprint.  I'm having horrible luck with a similar tank
(50 gallon cylinder) and am just about ready to move the 175 elsewhere and
switch to about half that much using power compacts (or the aforementioned
PAR-38 100-watt MH types).  Unfortunately, I just got my indoor water
hyacinth to bloom (that should give you an idea of how high the light is)
so I will wait until after the bloom dies before taking the next serious
step.

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson