Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #673

Hello,

The toxicity of lead metal in water has been discussed for at least 100
years.

It is my understanding, that in soft (& acidic) water lead does
dissolve, albveit very slowly.In hard water, when carbonates are
present, a protective coat of insoluble lead carbonate forms and
protects the lead metal from dissolution.

So, if your water is soft -- it would be prudent to avoid lead strips.
If, on the other hand, it's hard -- after a time the lead will be coated
with a thin coat of lead carbonate (white) and no further reaction will
take place.

Best,

George