Re: New Light Set-up

>Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:09:00 -0500
>From: George Slusarczuk <yurko at warwick_net>

>> Lights stats are: 36 watts/input, 200 watt/output,

>Wow! 36 Watts input, 200 Watts output -- the "Perpetual Motion Machine"
>has been invented! (Or is it just an advertising hype?)

Due to several emails I thought I should clarify the 36 watt/input, 200
watt/output statement. The compact fluorescent bulb has several interesting
characteristics, one being its ability to produce the EQUIVALENT of a higher
wattage incandescent bulb. Keep in mind that bulb wattage refers to how much
electricity it uses, not to how much light it produces. Light output is
referred to as "lumens" .
In his web site -$ensible Home Cut Your Utility Bills by James Dulley
http://www.dulley.com/727.htm
writes-

"Resist the temptation to buy a higher-wattage compact fluorescent bulb than
you need. The approximate light output equivalent for compact fluorescents
versus standard incandescents is: 4-watt/25-watt, 11-watt/40-watt,
15-watt/60-watt, 20-watt/75-watt and 23-watt/100-watt"...

..."New compact fluorescent bulbs produce excellent color quality - not the
drab bluish hue of older ones. "

While power compact fluorescent have not yet really caught on with aquatic
plant growers they are highly regarded in reef aquaria, and IMHO are a
viable and cost effective alternative especially in smaller aquariums.

In his article Richard Sexton
http://www.thekrib.com/Lights/faq.html#sun
writes:
"These tubes come in all sizes, from a 3" 5 watt bulb to much larger bulbs
that replace 40W four foot tubes, yet are just one third of the size. The
phosphor chemistry is what makes the difference between a cool white and a
daylight tube and every tubes is available with a dizzying array of choices
in this area. Some of the most useful tubes for aquarists with small tanks
are the 5000K compact fluorescent tubes."

I hope this clarifies any further confusion.
-- Tim

.