Mussels and other non-indigenous contaminants

In a message dated 11/25/98 12:58:40 AM Pacific Standard Time, Aquatic-Plants-
Owner at actwin_com writes:

<< Subject: Zebra Mussels - Anyone tried?

 I'm curious if anyone keeps mussels in their tanks.  I've heard that
 people do it to turn over and aerate the substrate.  Has anyone on this
 list tried it, and what has been the results?

 Will they propogate so fast that they take over the tank?  Any problems
 with plant roots, etc?  Problems with fish?

 Several of the lakes around here are loaded with them, so getting them for
 free is no problem (until they freeze over at least... <grin>)

Curtis, my man! Don't even think about this. Bad deal for the env. and you.
Bob (the first to not flame) Fenner