Request for Substrate Advice

I am planning on setting up a 30 gallon tank which I plan on planting
heavily. I already have a planted tank with just gravel, a couple of bags
of seachem flourite and the occaisional infusion of sera tabs. In my new
tank i want to try something a little more sophisticated. I already have
some some flourite and was considering using a layer of top soil underneath
it, or mixed with it under a top layer of gravel with some fine mesh for
separation. Has anybody out there tried this? if so what happened? I would
welcome any sort of advice regarding substrate options.